The signs and symptoms of cancer can differ depending on the specific type of cancer and its stage. Below, you will find some typical indications and symptoms to be mindful of, though it’s important to note that these manifestations can also arise from other non-cancerous conditions:
- Alterations in Bowel Patterns: If you’ve observed changes in your regular bowel habits persisting for three weeks or more, it is crucial to consult a healthcare professional. These modifications may encompass abdominal discomfort, blood in stool, unexplained diarrhoea or constipation, and other gastrointestinal issues.
- Abdominal Swelling: Prolonged abdominal bloating lasting for three weeks or more necessitates discussion with a healthcare provider, as it can sometimes be linked to ovarian or other abdominal cancers.
- Unexplained Bleeding: Unanticipated bleeding, such as blood in urine, vaginal bleeding between menstrual cycles, postmenopausal bleeding, rectal bleeding, blood during coughing, or blood in vomit, should be assessed by a medical practitioner.
- Anomalies or Masses: The discovery of a lump on your breast or elsewhere on your body, particularly if it is increasing in size or feels abnormal, should prompt seeking medical attention. Routine self-examinations of the breasts, underarms, groin, and testicles are also advised.
- Mole Changes: Any changes in moles, including alterations in shape, color, itching, crusting, bleeding, or size, should be reported to a healthcare provider, as they may signify melanoma, a form of skin cancer.
- Unexplained Weight Reduction: If you have experienced substantial weight loss within a short time frame without a clear cause, it is essential to consult a physician.
- Abdominal or Back Pain: Persistent or unexplained discomfort in the abdomen or back should be evaluated by a healthcare expert, whether it is a dull, constant ache or intermittent sharp pain.
What Are the Common Varieties of Cancer?
- Skin Cancer: This category encompasses both melanoma and non-melanoma skin cancers. Regular skin examinations are crucial for early detection.
- Pancreatic Cancer: Known for its aggressive nature, pancreatic cancer originates in the pancreas and is often diagnosed at an advanced stage, making treatment challenging. Treating pancreatic cancer involves a combination of approaches, including surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, targeted therapy, and immunotherapy.
- Breast Cancer: Ranking among the most prevalent cancers in women, breast cancer can affect individuals of any gender. Early detection through methods like mammograms and self-examinations significantly improves survival rates.
- Prostate Cancer: It’s a prevalent malignancy among men, frequently advances at a gradual pace and might not manifest any signs during its initial phases. Routine screening for prostate-specific antigen (PSA) plays a pivotal role in facilitating early identification. With wide treatment options, prostate cancer surgery costs in India fall around 4381 – 5809 USD.
- Lung Cancer: Lung cancer holds the top position in cancer-related fatalities globally, with non-small cell lung cancer as the primary subtype. Smoking is a prominent risk factor.