You can still highlight certain features, or use them to hide flaws. A carpet or rug can make an area look bigger and more inviting or even make a lack of space seem like more of an area in the room. Area rugs and carpets are so versatile and inexpensive that they can be used in any number of ways. If you want a unique flooring effect in your house, you might consider accenting it with an area rug.
Difference Between Area Rug And Carpet
Whether you live in an apartment or have a large home, area rugs are an essential part of any interior design. They offer a great way to add warmth and style to a room while making it look like it’s more personal and decorated by you. Unfortunately, not all area rugs are the same. When choosing a rug for less, there are a few things you want to keep in mind.
The most common mistake that people make with area rugs would be to get one that is too large for their space. If this is not possible, then you should be able to at least fit under the back legs of most big upholstered items on the rug. This will help give your room some depth, which will make the room look more customized.
Tips On Choosing Area Rugs
An area rug should actually fit underneath all the major furniture pieces in a room, including couches and recliners. You also want to avoid getting a carpet that is too thin, as it will end up pulling the eye away from the flooring underneath. Area carpets are often referred to as wall-to-wall carpets, because they run the full width of a room from wall to wall, unlike typical floor coverings which only come in a couple of different widths. Here are some tips on choosing area rugs:
- Be sure that the material is quite durable. It shouldn’t fray or get damaged easily, especially if it gets heavily worn or used on high foot traffic areas like the stairs, hallways, or entryways. Cheap area rugs are easy to spot, as they’ll usually have visible rip spots where the fibers have been tugged repeatedly. However, higher-quality rugs will show the wear much more gradually and be made of materials that won’t show the wear so readily. A good quality area rug will have high knot counts and be made using the best fibers.
- Area rugs that are a little thicker than normal will create a stronger visual impact because of their bulk. Thicker rugs will also be more comfortable to sit on because they will be more resilient. They will also hold their shape and provide adequate cushion for your feet to rest upon. If you want to soften a thick area rug, consider putting it on top of chair legs, which will make the rug almost disappear.
- These natural fibers are easy on the environment and also have a lovely texture and natural color which are difficult to reproduce using synthetic materials. area rugs and carpets are that they are made from natural fibers like jute, sisal, and wool. Jute and sisal area rugs are considered to be the green alternative because they use natural plant materials. Carpet, on the other hand, uses man-made materials that are more durable and which require more manufacturing processes. It is estimated that the production of synthetic carpets and rugs will soon equal the production of natural wool rugs.
- The area rugs and carpets used on the floors and the chairs have to blend well with the rest of the furniture and the theme of the house. If you are decorating a big living area, the rugs need to be smaller and lighter in color. For smaller and quieter areas, use darker and larger rugs. Before you put any area rug in place, see how it would look with the other furniture and the existing color of your house.
Advantages Of Area Rugs And Carpets
Area rugs and carpets can be used to great advantage as they have the power to transform any room and to make it look much more sophisticated and elegant. They have the potential to change a plain hallway into a warm and inviting lounge, which kids love. Children who visit your house will enjoy the new-found warmth and coziness. You may also want to give your living or dining area a different look by using accent rugs. You can find plenty of designs and colors to choose from so it should not be too difficult to find one or two that fit the theme of your home. Here are some advantages of area rug and carpet:
- Acoustic Elements – Carpets have many different acoustic characteristics, which serve as sound insulation in a building between rooms, and also help to mute the sound level in a single room.
- Hygiene – Wool, by exercising a regulatory influence on atmospheric humidity, does much to improve the air quality in a room.
- Safety – You’ve got a secure footing on the carpet, and it’s unlikely you’ll slip. In rooms where kids or elderly people spend time, this is a particularly significant factor.
- Healthy Walking – The soft, elastic fibers of a carpet encourage a springy walk that is easy on the joints. The effect may be compared with that of walking over a forest floor or a meadow.
- Heat Insulation – In comparison with all other floor coverings, carpeting makes a significant contribution to warmth and comfort. Not only do textile floor coverings give an optical impression of warmth, but objective measurements also prove that they retain the heat.
- Noise Reduction – A rug in the area will dramatically reduce the noise in your room. Not only is the carpet quieter to walk on than a hard surface floor, but the sound from the air is also absorbed.
- Comfort – It’s no secret that the carpet is much smoother than hardwood or tile, and most people believe that the carpet is more convenient than a hard surface floor to stand on.
- Warmth – The carpet is warmer than hard surface flooring, in addition to being smoother.
- Grounding Aspect – Intuitively, many people know that an area rug makes space feel grounded.
- Allergies – You can find that an area rug may help ease some of those problems if you have no carpet in your home and suffer from allergies or other breathing conditions.
Area rugs and carpets can enhance not just the design but also the ambiance of your home. There are so many advantages to having area rugs and carpets in your homes such as Hygiene, safety, and many more. You should also consider many factors like the durability and quality of the carpet or rug. There are differences between area rugs and carpets, but the two decorations can beautify your home.