USB flash drives are the type of storage devices used to carry the movies or work documents around. These are also known as Pendrives. They are cost-effective and capable of storing large chunks of data. Also, its portability makes the data transfer easily from one device to another.
However, such convenience also implies that USB drives are prone to damage or corruption too.
Losing important data or files can be bad. But entire USB corruption can be stressful. Of course, it would feel bad losing all the work done with countless efforts in a few seconds. Here, the first thing that comes to mind is how to recover the lost data. This is so because the corrupted USB becomes inaccessible and recovering data becomes mandatory before the USB gets damaged.
Are you facing a similar problem and looking for clues on how to recover the files back from the corrupted flash drive? Hiring reputable USB data recovery services comes as the solution.
However, let us take you to some proven ways to recover the inaccessible files and fix the corrupted USB flash drive.
Reasons for Flash Drive Corruption
There are a plethora of reasons why USB flash drives get damaged or become inaccessible. Some common reasons are below.
- Impulsive system shutdown or data transfer disruptions from one drive to another.
- Data loss or storage device corruption can occur as a result of firmware issues on the storage drive or operating system failure.
- Also, disclosure to water leads to corrosion of electronics. This is where the need to keep the flash drives becomes essential.
- Malware attacks or other corrupted files saved in the flash drive also lead to data inaccessibility.
- Unexpected removal of pen drive from PC or laptop instead of using the option “Safely remove.”
Is Recovering Files from a Corrupted USB Flash Drive Possible?
Yes, it is possible in almost every case. But remember that recovering corrupted files from a drive and retrieving data from a corrupted USB flash drive are different things.
- Damaged USB: When an entire USB becomes corrupted, you will no longer be able to access the content available. Remember that the data is safe and the drive itself is damaged and now is unable to provide access to the folders or files.
- Corrupted Folder or File: A corrupted USB folder or file is unique. This means the damage has occurred to the folder or files only and the storage device is safe. Attempting to open such files will result in an error message. However, it is still possible to retrieve damaged files or directories from a USB. However, to access it again, the source must be fixed.
What Are the Signs of Corrupted USB Flash Drive?
If the USB hasn’t corrupted entirely but is on the stage, you may see these below-given signs.
- Flash drive files are suddenly deleted
- When the USB is linked to the computer, Windows does not recognize it as a storage device
- Seeing the messages on the screens depicting the need for USB formatting
Ways to Retrieve Files Back From Corrupted USB Flash Drive
No matter what is the reason behind the drive corruption, there are enormous ways to restore the data. Let’s discuss these in detail.
Allocate Drive Letter
When a USB drive becomes corrupted, it becomes unusable and unrecognizable. Here, allocating the drive letter can help in fixing such an issue. Thinking about how to do so? Follow the steps given below.
- Firstly, open disk management by right-clicking on the Start button
- Right-click the disk number for the USB drive. Then, select the Change Drive Letter Paths option
- Click on the existing assigned drive letter and tap Change
- Choose a new drive letter from the dropdown list
USB Drive Enabling in Device Manager
Flash drives can become disabled automatically at times. Errors in driver installation are to blame. Follow the steps outlined below to access your flash drive and retrieve the data stored on it.
- Go to Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, and then Device Manager
- Expand the list of disk drives
- Enable the device by double-clicking on your USB drive
- Enter Next, click Finish
Update or Reinstall the Drivers
One issue could be that the USB disk is inaccessible or corrupted due to outdated device drivers. Implement the steps shared below for updating device drivers.
- Right-click the Start button and select the Device Manager option
- Click Disk Drives in the Device Manager window, choose the USB drive, then click on Uninstall the device option
- The new drivers will get updated when you uninstall the existing device drivers and reconnect the USB device. After that, the USB device will be accessible and recognizable
Use CMD to Identify Any Storage Device Errors
The CMD command options make it simple to repair a corrupted flash disk. The techniques outlined below will assist you in checking the USB for faulty sectors and displaying hidden files.
- Open the Start menu and enter CMD in the search bar. Now, click on run as administrator. If a window prompts you to let CMD make modifications select Yes.
- Determine if there are any bad sectors in the USB flash drive. Now, type the below-given syntax in the CMD line.
chkdsk D: /r /f
- Tap the enter button.
- If you want to unhide the drive files, enter the syntax
attrib -h -r -s /s /d D:*.*
- Click Enter.
Format the Entire USB Flash Drive
Another way is to format the USB flash drive. This option will help to eliminate the drive’s logical hassles. Additionally, it wipes out the data stored on it. So, if all the data is already restored, formatting won’t be an issue.
Consider Using USB Data Recovery Software
In case none of these ways helped you, the next and ideal solution can be utilizing USB recovery software. It will help to efficiently retrieve the files from a damaged flash drive. These come with a user-friendly interface, credibility, and robust functionality. On the other hand, no native tool would not be that helpful.
Hire Professional Data Recovery Company
While above are some of the ways that you can implement your to retrieve data. However, if you fail to understand or do not find these ways helpful, look for the data recovery services in the UK for professional help.
Also, the experts have the right tools and expertise on how it would be better and more effective to recover data that is no longer functioning.
Ways for Restoring Files If The USB Flash Drive is Physically Damaged
Set the USB
There are times when the USB fails to connect with the systems. The reason behind this can be the loose plugs. Remember that when you plug in the USB, the internal connectors must be able to retain contact with the USB port’s connectors.
The computer will be unable to read the USB and the data available on it if the drive isn’t plugged in correctly.
- Connect the USB to your computer.
- Simply twist the USB in different ways and listen to see whether Windows makes any noise when the new storage device is attached.
- When the sound goes off, keep the system that way, and transfer everything from the USB to the new storage device.
- However, remember that this trial can take some time or errors may take place based on the level of drive disruption.
Find Any Dirt and Debris Obstruction
The presence of dust, dirt or other things in the USB port or the drive’s connectors can prevent the connection from being established. The system and the USB flash drive are in proper contact. It’s an excellent opportunity to try the drive in a different port and fix the problem.
Thinking about how to do so?
Follow these steps given below.
- Take a cotton swab and clean all the debris out using a gentle brush. The dirt and debris can be in any of the devices, be it the connectors or the port.
- Remove any loose material, such as dirt and dust, by gently blowing on the connectors or the USB port.
- Now, try connecting or plugging in the USB again.
If the connection is established, there was a physical hindrance that was blocking the contact. However, if after following these steps there remains the problem, get in touch with the data recovery company for help.
To conclude, nothing ends with a damaged USB flash drive but losing data or being unable to access the vital files can be worrisome. But instead of worrying, you must think about the ways to overcome the problem.
Hence, implementing all these tips gives the opportunity of making the corrupted drive function and restore the required files. In addition, employing a reputable data recovery company can help you relieve stress. They can save your money and files by using their skills and knowledge.
So, what are you waiting for? Try out all these tips or simply hire the experts for assistance.
Hope you find this write-up helpful and informative.
Do let us know your feedback or any queries in the comments section below.
Thanks for Reading!!