Microsoft Outlook has widely used software for communication through emails. Sometimes, Outlook users face errors such as OST File will not open in Outlook 2016 while using MS Outlook 2016.
The below-mentioned query will narrate an example of the same error faced by the user:
“Hi guys, recently I just updated my MS Office version from 2013 to 2016. After the upgrade, when I try to sync Outlook with the Exchange server, as a result, it shows an error “OST File will not open in Outlook 2016”.
Please let me know if there is any solution to this problem. Thanks in advance!! ”
There is no need to be worry if you are also facing a similar issue while using Outlook. In this blog, we will discuss how to overcome this problem by both manual and authentic method using software such as SysTools OST Converter.
Before proceeding, we instruct you to check while you had created any duplicate account or not. If yes, then keep one desired account as a default account to fix the “OST won’t open in Outlook 2016” problem. But, if your answer is no, then go ahead with the below-mentioned solutions to solve this problem.
Reasons For Getting “OST File Will Not Open in Outlook 2016 Error”
There are many possible reasons for the OST file will not open in Outlook 2016 problem. Few of them are discussed below:
- Bad sectors on the hard drive: The existence of bad sectors on the hard disk where the OST files are stored could lead you to this problem.
- Synchronization issue: The synchronization of the OST file and Exchange server may also lead to this “OST file will not open in Outlook 2016” problem.
- Power Failure: Sudden power failure while working on the OST file could result in this problem.
- Abrupt Termination of Outlook: If the Outlook application terminates suddenly, then the OST might become inaccessible. Therefore, to overcome this problem, the user needs to close the Outlook after completion of tasks.
- Virus or malware attack: Virus or malware attack is another reason to damage the OST file. Hence, it is instructed to use trustworthy anti-virus software in your system.
Manual Ways to Fix OST File Will Not Open in Outlook 2016 Error
Solution 1: Build a new Outlook account profile.
You might be able to resolve the issue by creating a new Outlook profile and sync it to the Exchange ActiveSync server using “Auto Account Setup”. In order to build a new Outlook profile follow these methods:
- Run the Outlook
- Click on the File> Account Settings and Manage Profiles.
- Click on the Show Profiles button and then Add
- In the Profile Name box, type a name for the profile and click on the Ok
- In the end, choose the Auto Account Setup rather than Manual Setup.
This manual method is not so reliable and very time taking process. Also, it becomes a complicated task for non-technical users.
Solution 2: Convert OST file into the PST file
To solve the OST file won’t open in Outlook 2016 problem, convert the OST file into the PST file first and then import the PST file in Outlook 2016. First, to convert the OST file into the PST file:
- Download and run the SysTools OST Converter.
- Add the OST file into the software.
- Preview the mailbox data in the software.
- Select the mailbox data and click on the export button.
- Select PST file option to convert the OST file into PST file
- Click on the export
Now, to import OST file in Outlook 2016:
- Open Outlook 2016 on your system.
- Click on the Open & Import option> Impor/Export.
- Choose Import from another program or file.
- Now, choose the PST file option.
- Browse the PST file and add the PST file.
- Finish the process by click on the Finish.
Many times the users have to deal with the OST file that will not open in Outlook 2016 error. So to resolve this problem we have given the complete solution to tackle this issue. For this, the user can take the help of the OST Converter Application which helps the users to convert the OST file to PST format. Also, the user can easily preview the OST file mailbox items such as emails, contacts, calendar, etc. After saving the data in PST format the user can easily import the PST file in Outlook application.