The Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises Development (MSMED) Act, 2006 was enacted in India to promote and develop small and medium enterprises (SMEs) in the country. The Act defines micro, small, and medium enterprises based on their investment in plant and machinery or equipment. To promote and support the growth of these enterprises, the government of India has introduced MSME registration. In this ultimate guide, we’ll discuss MSME registration and how it can empower your business.
What is MSME Registration?
Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises registration is a voluntary registration process for small and medium enterprises that provides them with several benefits and advantages. The MSME registration is issued by the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises, Government of India. The MSME registration certificate contains a unique Udyog Aadhaar Number (UAN) which you can use for availing of various benefits and schemes.
Eligibility criteria for MSME registration in India
These are the businesses that fall under a certain investment and turnover limit as per the Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises Development (MSMED) Act, 2006 in India. The eligibility criteria for Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises registration in India are based on the investment made in plant and machinery or equipment and the turnover of the business. The MSME Development Act, of 2006 provides the following definitions for micro, small, and medium enterprises:
- Micro Enterprises: The enterprises that invest up to Rs. 1 crore in plant and machinery or equipment and have a turnover of up to Rs. 5 crores.
- Small Enterprises: The enterprises that invest up to Rs. 10 crores in plant and machinery or equipment and have a turnover of up to Rs. 50 crore.
- Medium Enterprises: The enterprises that invest up to Rs. 50 crore in plant and machinery or equipment and have a turnover of up to Rs. 250 crores.
Eligibility criteria for MSME Registration
- The business must be registered as a proprietorship, partnership, or private limited company.
- The business must fall under the definition of micro, small, or medium enterprise, based on the investment and turnover criteria mentioned above.
- The business must not be involved in any prohibited activity, such as tobacco, alcohol, or firearms.
- The business must not have defaulted on any loans or payments to the government.
- The business must have a valid Aadhaar number, PAN card, and bank account.
- The business must not have more than one Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises registration.
Note: MSME registration is voluntary, and small and medium enterprises are not required to register themselves. However, registering under MSME provides several benefits, such as easy access to credit, finance, government subsidies, incentives, etc.
Benefits of MSME Registration
- Easy access to finance: MSMEs are the backbone of the Indian economy, and the government offers several schemes and incentives to promote their growth. One of the most significant advantages of MSME registration is easy to access to credit and finance. Banks and financial institutions offer loans at a lower interest rate to registered MSMEs.
- Government subsidies and incentives: MSMEs are eligible for various government subsidies and incentives, such as capital subsidies, technology upgradation, and other benefits. Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises registration is mandatory for availing of these subsidies.
- Protection against delayed payments: MSMEs often face challenges in recovering payments from customers, which can impact their cash flow. The government has introduced the MSME Delayed Payment Act, which protects MSMEs against delayed payments from buyers. The Act specifies that the buyer must make payment within 45 days of the delivery of goods or services. If the payment is delayed, the buyer is liable to pay interest on the delayed amount.
- Tax benefits: Registered MSMEs are eligible for various tax benefits, such as exemption from excise duty, income tax, and sales tax. The government has also introduced the GST Composition Scheme, which allows MSMEs to pay a lower GST rate.
- Ease of doing business: Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises registration simplifies the process of doing business. The registration certificate is recognized by various government agencies and private institutions. MSMEs can avail of various services, such as business advisory, skill development, and marketing support, from the government.
Process of MSME Registration
The procedure for Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises registration is straightforward and is done with both online or offline method. Here are the steps to follow for MSME registration:
- Visit the Udyam Registration website. Here you can register your enterprise by filling out the registration form.
- The registration form requires you to provide details such as your Aadhaar number, name, PAN number, address, and other information related to your business.
- Once you provide your Aadhaar number, the website will verify it. If the Aadhaar number is not available or incorrect, you can use the PAN number for verification.
- You need to then provide details about your business, such as the type of enterprise, number of employees, investments, and other relevant information.
- You need to provide a self-declaration stating that the information provided in the registration form is true and correct.
- After filling out the form and verifying the details, you can submit the form online.
- Once the registration form is submitted, you will receive an acknowledgment containing the Udyog Aadhaar Number (UAN).
Documents required for MSME Registration:
The documents required for Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises registration in India vary depending on the type of business and its registration status. Here is a list of some of the common documents that are required for MSME registration:
- Aadhaar Card of the Applicant: The Aadhaar card is required for the identity verification of the applicant.
- PAN Card of the Applicant: The PAN card is required for tax-related purposes and also for verification of the applicant.
- Business Address Proof: Documents such as rental agreements, utility bills, property tax receipts, or any other document that provides proof of the business address.
- Bank Account Details of the Business: Bank account details, including the account number, IFSC code, and bank statement, are required to verify the business’s financial status.
- Details of the Business Activity: The type of business activity, the products or services offered, and the investment made in plant and machinery or equipment are required to determine eligibility for MSME registration.
- Other Relevant Documents: Depending on the type of business, additional documents required are GST registration certificate, partnership deed, memorandum of association, articles of association, etc.
The documents required for Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises registration may vary depending on the state and region of the business. Therefore, it is recommended to consult with a professional business consultant to get a comprehensive list of the required documents for MSME registration as per your specific business.
Why hire a professional business consultant for MSME Registration?
Hiring a professional business consultant for MSME registration can provide several benefits to small and medium enterprises. Here are some reasons why you should consider hiring a professional business consultant for MSME registration:
- Expertise and Knowledge: Professional business consultants have extensive knowledge and expertise in the field of Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises registration. They are familiar with the rules, regulations, and procedures of MSME registration, and can guide you through the entire process.
- Time-Saving: MSME registration can be a time-consuming process, and hiring a professional business consultant can save you time and effort. The consultant can handle the paperwork and documentation, leaving you with more time to focus on your business.
- Avoid Errors and Mistakes: The Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises registration process involves several legal and technical formalities, and even a minor error or mistake can lead to rejection or delay in registration. Professional business consultants can help you avoid errors and mistakes, ensuring a smooth and hassle-free registration process.
- Cost-Effective: While hiring a professional business consultant may involve additional costs, it can save you money in the long run. The consultant can help you avail of government subsidies, incentives, and benefits that are available to MSMEs, which can help reduce your business expenses.
- Post-Registration Support: Professional business consultants can provide post-registration support, helping you with compliance requirements, tax filing, and other legal formalities.
MSME registration is a simple and easy process that provides numerous benefits to small and medium enterprises. It empowers businesses to access credit and finance, avail of government subsidies and incentives, protect against delayed payments, and avail of various tax benefits. MSME registration is an essential step for the growth and development of small and medium enterprises in India.
However, we highly recommended to hire a professional business consultant for MSME registration due to their expertise, time-saving, error-free registration, and other MSME-related services. By working with a consultant, small and medium enterprises can ensure a smooth and hassle-free registration process and avail of the benefits and incentives available to MSMEs. CA Firm ASC Group is one of the leading MSME service providers in India providing comprehensive advisories related to MSME such as Filing returns and reporting, Audit, Intellectual Property Rights, income tax filing, compliances, GST and periodic returns filing, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Is MSME registration mandatory for small and medium enterprises in India?
A. No, MSME registration is voluntary, and small and medium enterprises register themselves under the scheme. However, registering under MSME provides several benefits, such as easy access to credit and finance, government subsidies and incentives, and protection against delayed payments, making it a beneficial step for the growth and development of small and medium enterprises in India.
Q. Can a business have more than one MSME registration?
A. No, a business is allowed to have only one MSME registration. If a business is found to have multiple registrations, all registrations is canceled.
Q. How long does it take to get an MSME registration certificate?
A. The MSME registration process is usually completed within one to two working days after the submission of the application form.
Q. Can an MSME registration be canceled?
A. Yes, an MSME registration can be canceled if the business fails to comply with the eligibility criteria or engages in prohibited activities.
Q. What are the penalties for not registering under MSME?
A. There are no penalties for not registering under MSME as it is a voluntary registration process. However, businesses that do not register miss out on the benefits and advantages provided by the government to registered MSMEs.
Q. Can a registered MSME upgrade or downgrade its registration status?
A. Yes, a registered MSME can upgrade or downgrade its registration status based on its investment and turnover criteria. The business needs to submit a fresh application for the same.
Q. Can a business register under MSME avail of benefits and schemes provided by other government agencies?
A. Yes, a business registered under MSME can avail of benefits and schemes provided by other government agencies, such as the Startup India scheme or the Export Promotion Capital Goods (EPCG) scheme.
Q. Is there any fee for MSME registration?
A. No, there is no fee for MSME registration. The registration process is free of cost. However, some private entities may charge a fee for facilitating the registration process.
Q. Can an MSME obtain a loan without MSME registration?
A. Yes, an MSME can obtain a loan from banks and financial institutions without MSME registration. However, the interest rates and eligibility criteria may differ for registered and non-registered MSMEs.
Q. Is MSME registration applicable only to manufacturing businesses?
A. No, MSME registration is applicable to both manufacturing and service-based businesses. The investment and turnover criteria for registration are the same for both types of businesses.
Q. Is MSME registration mandatory for small businesses in India?
A.No, MSME registration is not mandatory for small businesses in India. It is a voluntary registration process that provides various benefits and incentives to registered MSMEs.
Q. Can an MSME register itself as a micro, small, and medium enterprise simultaneously?
A. MSMEs are classified into three categories, namely micro, small, and medium, based on their investment and turnover criteria. The investment and turnover criteria for each category vary depending on the sector of the enterprise. For example, in the manufacturing sector, a micro-enterprise is one with an investment of up to Rs. 25 lakhs and a turnover of up to Rs. 5 crores, while a small enterprise is one with an investment of up to Rs. 5 crores and a turnover of up to Rs. 75 crores.
Once a company is registered under MSME, they cannot register under any other category. For instance, if an company is registered as MSME s a small enterprise, it cannot register as a micro/medium enterprise. However, if company’s investment or turnover exceeds the limits of the MSME category, it will be required to register itself under the appropriate category.
Also Read – What to Look for in a Lawyer