CAT is one of the most prestigious competitive exams and requires intensive practice. Solving CAT Mocks is very important to crack the CAT exam. Students must include solving mock tests in their preparation as it is the only way through which they can analyze their performance level.
This article will teach you the importance of solving mock tests and why you should include them in your preparation strategy.
CAT is one of the most popular entrance tests, held annually for admissions in IIMs and other elite b-schools. The CAT exam pattern has changed over the years, and we may see a few changes this year too. Over 2 Lakh students apply for the CAT Exam.
Due to such high competition, tracking all the details about CAT is crucial in order to not miss any opportunity. Candidates can learn about all the exam requisites through our website and plan their strategy accordingly.
CAT Exam Pattern
Before we discuss the details of the CAT syllabus, candidates must know the exam pattern to estimate the timings and marks per section and other details.
|No. of Questions
|Time per Section
|Type of Questions
|MCQs & Non-MCQs
CAT Syllabus: Marking Scheme
The marking scheme for the CAT exam is illustrated in the table below:
|+3 for every correct answer
-1 mark for every incorrect answer
|+3 for every correct answer
No negative marking for incorrect answer
There is no official syllabus described by the CAT exam conducting body. Yet, most of the topics are based on middle school Math and English topics.
Although the syllabus is divided into 3 sections, the effective number of sections is five, as VARC and DILR are divided into 2 sub-sections.
Quant section includes class 9 – 10 level maths topics such as Number System, Geometry, Mensuration, Algebra, and Arithmetic. VARC syllabus includes reading comprehension, verbal reasoning, and grammar.
DILR section contains sets based on Number series, Graphs, Data Sufficiency, and common reasoning concepts.
|CAT Syllabus – Sections
|Quantitative Ability (QA)
|Modern Maths, Number System, Geometry, Mensuration, Algebra, Arithmetic
|Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension
|Para Jumbles, Para Summary, Long and Short Passages, Odd Sentence Out.
|Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DILR)
|Seating Arrangements, Coding-Decoding, Team Formation, Clocks and Calendars, Venn Diagrams, Bar Graphs
CAT Mock Test 2022
IIM devises the CAT Mock Test that helps candidates to get acquainted with the real exam-like environment as it is a replica of the CAT exam, including login, sectional MCQs, screen calculators, timers, etc. IIM also offers a separate CAT mock test 2022 for candidates with low vision.
If you are looking for the best practice material. In that case, you can attempt the free mocks online or offline as per your requirement of different difficulty levels to level up your preparation.
You can go through the exam details before attempting the exam and then start solving the practice test. Have a hold on the exam pattern, and then work on enhancing your skills.
CAT Mock Test: Types
There are three different types of CAT Mock Tests available. Candidates can avail any of their preferences. These three types are discussed below.
- Full-Length Mock Test – These mocks cover all sections of the syllabus. The exam pattern of these mock tests is a replica of the CAT exam. These mock tests are attempted once the whole syllabus is completed and the candidate is ready to solve a full paper.
- Topic-Wise Mock Test – These mocks are topic-specific. Candidates can select any topic of their choice and can start solving it. Such mocks help the candidates better understand each topic that can be asked in the exam.
- Sectional Mock Test – CAT exam consists of 3 sections. These mocks are based on different sections, which help the candidates to analyze their sectional performance. These mocks are preferred by candidates who are unsure about a specific section.
Importance of CAT Mock Test
- CAT mock tests help students be well aware of different question types expected in the exam.
- The next logical step after covering the CAT syllabus for aspirants is to learn time management and decision-making. CAT mock tests help students gain confidence to manage time and stress in the actual exam.
- It serves as a yardstick to measure candidates’ performance compared to their competitors. Candidates can evaluate their preparation at every stage and will get to know where they stand among other aspirants.
- Accuracy is improved in solving different types of questions. Candidates can be aware of the exam pattern and can solve the questions with ease.
- Analysis of CAT mock test papers presents a true picture of a candidate’s progress, enabling them to minimise mistakes. One can identify weak and strong areas and strategise your preparation accordingly.
- With regular practice of mock tests, candidates can learn effective time management and quickly solve difficult problem-based questions.
- Solving Mock tests decreases the candidates’ anxiety, and they can attempt the main exam without any stress.
CAT is a tough exam and requires a lot of practice. Practice is the only way that leads to success. Consistently solving the CAT Mock Tests and sample papers help candidates get familiar with the exam pattern.
As a CAT aspirant, the choice of self-preparing for the exam or opting for an online coaching program should be made according to your preferences and not under someone else’s influence. The CAT exam requires diligence, commitment and discipline to achieve a good percentile. Candidates must focus on their fundamentals and give mocks regularly. Studying from the right study material also plays a great role in succeeding your goal. Although CAT preparation is not easy, candidates can increase their chance of cracking the exam through the right guidance and strategy. Some of the preparation tips are given below. Consider these tips while preparing for your exam, as they can prove to be of great help.
- Start your day by reading the newspaper, latest news and headlines.
- Developing a reading habit proves to be very helpful during the exam. Reading speed increases by manifolds. After all, CAT is indeed a game of speed mixed with accuracy.
- Practice at least 30 questions on the topic.
- Candidates must design their strategy to solve CAT question papers by practising multiple sample papers.
- Studying from a coaching institute can reinstate confidence in the candidate, help polish existing skills and establish the remaining ones.
- Please don’t start with random topics. Schedule your daily topics, and then start working on them.
- Keep track of time while learning and even during practice.
- Make short notes of the important formulas of quant and revise them daily as it will be beneficial.
- Solve at least one comprehension passage daily.
- Try to be consistent and avoid any days off.
- Along with coaching, don’t forget to self-study as it is flexible and helps in the self-assessment of the weaker sections. Candidates can focus more on what they need to prepare rather than a collective opinion.
CAT Mocks helps the candidates in overcoming their loopholes. Aspirants can drive an effective strategy that can help them score a good percentile. Getting familiar with the exam pattern and environment is very important, which can be availed through practicing sample papers and mock tests. Our website provides exclusive content for CAT preparation and CAT Mock Tests. Students can go through these details to prepare effectively.