Summary: In this article we are going to discuss the two easiest and simplest methods to access MBOX file in Gmail. While Google does not provide native, seamless backups within the Gmail service, you can export an offline copy of your Gmail data to a local file using a technique provided in this blog.
Gmail’s Download your data tool in the Google account settings allows you to export all of your Google data. The “Download your data” function in Gmail downloads the file in MBOX format. There is no direct way to import MBOX to Gmail using the Google account settings, however there is an automated tool MBOX Converter which lets you do so in a minimum amount of time.
What is a .mbox File?
An MBOX file is a collection of emails. You’ll get an MBOX file containing all your emails if you download your Gmail archive through Google Takeout, for example. It is a file that stores a collection of email messages. MBOX files can be created by a variety of email programs and online webmail platforms. Certain email systems may import data from MBOX files, and you can use an MBOX file converter to convert it to another format, or you can simply read the contents with the finest MBOX viewer for your needs.
“Hello, my name is Lisa and I’m from Los Angeles. I’m seeking a way to import .mbox file into my Gmail account.” Because I have some vital data in .mbox file, I’d like to move them to my Gmail account. Could you please offer some suitable methods”.
“Howdy there, I’m Jerkin from the United States of America. I’ve been using Thunderbird for three years, but I’d like to switch to Gmail. However, the .mbox file contains significant information, and I have a huge number of .mbox file that I wish to upload to Gmail. I also tried manually, but it didn’t work, so I’m seeking for an automatic way to import .mbox files into my Gmail account.”
Of course, you can back up Gmail data the right way and not only be able to import your MBOX file, but also have a backup of all your Google account data. However, you may import MBOX to Gmail account directly and have access to the emails included in the MBOX backup using freely available third-party software. Let’s look at how to import MBOX to Gmail and the procedures involved in exporting Gmail email data and then importing MBOX into Gmail.
Why is it necessary to Import MBOX file into Gmail?
We’ve compiled a list of the most common reasons why people desire to import MBOX file into their Gmail accounts.
- The MBOX file format is supported by most email clients, including Thunderbird, Eudora, Opera Mail, Netscape, and others. Some email programs do not support MBOX files or do not open them natively.
- Many users discovered that Gmail is not a suitable email client for opening MBOX files directly. As a result, people have difficulty reading these files. As a result, MBOX to Gmail conversion is required.
- Gmail provides users with greater storage space for free.
- It always offers immediate processing.
- For its users, Gmail offers additional security features and more control.
- It has a simple, user-friendly UI.
- Any file can be searched using an additional search option.
- Gmail has the ability to filter spam out of emails.
These are some of the benefits of utilizing Gmail over alternative email services. Now let’s look at the various methods for converting MBOX to Gmail.
Method 1. How to access MBOX File to Gmail for free ?
Note: While you can find these manual ways on the internet, there is no guarantee that they will import an MBOX file to Gmail, so be careful.
Gmail does not currently provide a free mechanism to import MBOX file to Gmail, nor does it intend to do so in the future. As a result, not all email clients allow the conversion of MBOX file.
The manual conversion procedure is extensive, we have divided it into two steps to make it easier for users to understand. Carefully follow the instructions.
- Configure your Gmail account with Thunderbird
- Open MBOX file in Gmail
Step 1: Set up your Thunderbird account with your Gmail account
- To get started, go to the Tools area.
- Account settings are available.
- Select Account Actions and then Add Mail Account from the drop-down menu.
- Enter your Gmail credentials, including your name, email address, and password. Then press the Continue button.
- Now select IMAP from the drop-down menu and click OK.
- To validate the email ID, users will be forwarded to the Gmail program. Click the OK button.
- Click Next after entering your Gmail account password.
- Then, on the allow button, grant Thunderbird application permission to access and read Gmail emails.
- As the user can see, the Gmail account is set up in Thunderbird.
Step 2: Open your Gmail account and import the MBOX file
Once the Thunderbird application has been configured with the Gmail account. Follow these procedures to upload MBOX to Gmail:
- Go to your Gmail account and sign in.
- Choose New Folder from the context menu when you right-click on the inbox folder.
- Create a folder by entering the name of the folder and clicking the Create Folder button.
- Drag and drop emails from Thunderbird to the newly formed folder.
Drawbacks of the Manual Methods:
- The installation of Thunderbird is required.
- It is necessary to have technical knowledge.
- Due to the various processes, the process takes longer.
- There is a high danger of data loss.
Method 2. How to access MBOX File in Gmail? Pro-Solution
Advanced MBOX Converter converts MBOX files to a variety of file formats and email clients with more accuracy and reliability. Experts advise against using manual approaches since they are time-consuming and difficult, and there is a risk of data loss. Users can convert MBOX to PST, MSG, EML, EMLX, CSV, OST, PDF, HTML, Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, IMAP, Office 365, and more using MBOX Converter. It works with MBOX files made by more than 20 email clients. It protects data integrity and prevents data loss during the migration procedure. This tool even works with the full versions of Mac and Windows. To test the tool’s performance, you can download the free MBOX to PST Converter version.
This program was built expressly to convert MBOX files, according to its creators. So, without further delays, let’s take a look at the characteristics.
Premium Features of this Amazing Tool:
- It offers an easy-to-use UI.
- PST, MBOX, EML, TXT, HTML, CSV, ICS, Outlook, Thunderbird, Apple Mail, Eudora, RediffMail, Gmail, Office 365, G Suite, and more file formats are all supported by this software.
- Users can convert several MBOX file in one go, with no constraints or limitations.
- Users can also handle their transformed data according to their needs.
- This utility doesn’t just support MBOX; it also supports MBS/MBX and other MBOX formats.
We have discussed how to manually and automatically access MBOX file in Gmail in the previous section. Manual approaches, as you can see, have some limitations and restrictions. So, if you just need to import a small amount of data, we recommend using the manual way; alternatively, utilize an MBOX converter if you need to import a large amount of data.