Everyone aims to earn. While there are several ways of earning, those who want to make a career by doing a job in the company relevant to their qualifications must know what other options are. Not only aspirants but career counselling for work professionals is also essential.
There may be some situations where a working professional wants to change the job and is in need of career counselling, then he may get in touch with some expert career counsellor for help. If the seeker is not sure of the work culture of the aimed organization he can take advice from someone working in the same company.
There may be another scenario where a professional wants to jump into completely another field due to the offer of some opportunity to him, he needs a career counsellor of the same or similar field. We are going to discuss the importance of career counselling here –
- Find Out The Available Options – When you are working in a company for a considerably longer time, it is essential to know what the other options are. Some people may feel that further learning in the existing company has a dim possibility in the future and wish to switch to the new one. They have planned their career to go to a certain position and it won’t happen in their current job. If a person is not sure about whether the opportunity will suit their career or not, then it is a good decision of career advice for work professional.
- Giving The Best Alternatives – Consider that you are willing to work in a specific role and you only have some idea about the nature of the work. You do not know the practical hurdles and experience relevant to that role, in such case you better seek help. You can query this on some common professional platforms and try to get an answer. You might be willing to know about the stress, about salary & perks, or about terms & conditions. If you are weak at handling the stress and get low easily and the job needs stress handling then you may opt-out of it.
- For Switching Jobs– The reasons why people join a company may vary from person to person but one is common and that is money. In the process, it becomes an interesting part to see how many are enjoying the job role, not all essentially. Agree? Then now what is the goal of those who have joined because of a lack of other options to earn money? Here, the importance of career counselling plays a key role. If there are other good options that are available in their field, they must be aware of those. Now, if they insist on career counselling, they will get proper information through that career counsellor. It is possible that they would get a good career path and growth in the future. This also applies to those who desire a higher position.
- To Get Higher Studies – There may be some ambitious people who want to grow in a higher position but lack the essential educational background can get the advice on consultation. If you are from a poor family and completed the necessary education to get the job, but you desire to grow so you can do learning while earning. To pursue higher in a different field than your working you will need counselling to clear your doubts about the opportunities after you completed the aimed higher studies. If it is in the same field then the chances of getting a higher position based on study are higher.
- To Upgrade Your Profile – Suppose you have taken a decision about grabbing the opportunity to grow in your career but you have fear somewhere in your mind about the future. You are not sure whether it is a good opportunity or whether you can cope up with the additional responsibility, then it is always better to have career counselling. They will help you to improve your profile by some additions so it will be a standard one. Your resume is the mirror of your personality and while you approach some company for a higher position, your resume is scanned by multiple function heads that will put their opinion on paper. If your profile is carrying, say, poor English language, it will go against your chances to get selected.
- Guiding The Correct Direction – If you have, say, five or six alternatives to choose from, surely you will get confused about which one to choose. It is highly likely that you would choose the one with the highest salary but that may be an incorrect decision. Your career counsellor can tell you what to choose based on your strengths, capacity to do work, your core interests, etc. They will guide you with some tips and show you the correct directions to grow up from the existing level.
- Managing The Pressure Situation – As you go to higher positions in a job, your responsibilities increase with your changing role. You may need to lead a small or big team of members with different characters. You may have some deadlines to meet and you need to get work done from each of your team members. Leadership is altogether a different card to play and it may fail if you can’t handle the stress. When you work as a team leader you have to be impartial towards the team and at the same time, you need to locate the real performers. All this theory has to be converted into practice and here your counsellor will surely help you in a proper manner.
All or some of the above points are bound to appear some time in your life and to be prepared and face them successfully you will need a guide from time to time. Whether to get help from a professional career counsellor or to opt for an experienced mentor is entirely your choice but the goal of becoming successful remains the same.
One thing to remember is, all this will be required for the people with a purpose. For those who have set themselves a goal of success. It is quite possible that you will get some good advice from your father or elder brother too. whoever it is, the purpose of counselling must be solved.