You had another dream about it. You grew your curly hair out and loved it because it turned you into one of those beautiful mermaids. However, the truth is somewhat different. If you’ve always wanted to wake up with long, full, and flowing hair, hair extensions are the way to go.
However, with so many varieties of curly human hair extensions and different application methods, it can be challenging to pick one that meets your needs.
Check out this comprehensive guide to the pros and cons of various hair extension methods, so you are able to make an informed decision that is tailored to your curly hair’s needs.
What Are Hair Extensions?
Hair extensions are used to achieve length to your hair. Hair extensions, which can be made of natural or synthetic hair, help add length to your hair.
This blog will focus on the different types of human hair curly extensions and their pros and cons.
Reasons To Wear Hair Extensions
Hair extensions are worn for different purposes like adding length and volume to natural hair, achieving a new look with different haircuts and colors, and more.
Things To Remember Before Getting Hair Extensions
Always get your curly tape-in hair extensions installed by professionals because, unlike clip-ins, these extensions require professional skills.
- Ensure that your curly hair extensions aren’t installed too tight to prevent pain and discomfort.
- It is always better to shop for quality human hair extensions even though they are slightly more expensive.
- Remember to take care of your hair because if your hair is damaged, you will not be able to do a lot of styling.
Different Types Of Curly Hair Extensions And Their Pros And Cons
Below are the different curly hair extensions and their respective pros and cons that will help you shop for the right product.
Curly Clip-In Hair Extensions
For anyone who desires longer hair in minutes, clip-in hair extensions are the perfect solution. The clips are attached to the weft. You just need to clip them into your hair at the roots. They can be anything from 2 to 8 inches in size and comes in a variety of lengths.
These types of curly hair extensions take less than ten minutes to install and even lesser to remove.
Pros Of Curly Clip-In Hair Extensions
The application of clip-in hair extensions is easy, and these types of hair extensions are beginner-friendly.
- Curly extensions like kinky curly clip-in hair extensions can be installed and removed whenever you want.
- Curly clip-in hair extensions come in various styles, lengths, and colors, allowing you to change your look on a regular basis.
- Curly clip-ins can be heat styled and treated like your natural hair.
Cons Of Curly Clip-In Hair Extensions
Curly clip-ins cannot be left in for a long duration because the clips will cause breakage.
- As great as they are, you will need to remove clip-ins before heading to bed.
- Frequently wearing curly clip-ins in the same position will cause tension and hair loss.
Curly Tape-In Hair Extensions
Tape-in extensions are ideal if you are after hair extensions that can be applied in a matter of hours. These extensions are available in wefts ranging in length from 1.5 to 8 inches.
Curly tape-in extensions have either single or double-sided polyurethane tapes that are trimmed to fit the weft’s size. Your natural hair is sandwiched between tape-in extensions for a natural look.
This method takes an hour and a half to install, depending on the length.
Pros Of Curly Tape-In Hair Extensions
This is the quickest technique of installing semi-permanent hair extensions, taking less than 90 minutes to complete.
- Curly tape-in hair extensions last between 4-6 weeks.
- The installation of curly tape-ins does not require the use of heat or any tools. Tape-ins do not cause damage to your hair during the application process.
- Because the extensions are spread over a vast area of your head, they reduce strain on your head.
- Curly tape in hair extensions provides a natural look because they lay flat, and they can be used again after being removed for up to 8 weeks.
Related Blog: Are long layered hair good for medium-length fine hair?
Cons Of Curly Tape-In Hair Extensions
The tape’s glue needs to dry for 24-48 hours, which means you cannot wash your hair or engage in movements that will make you sweat.
- You won’t be able to use or apply silicone-based oils and products to your hair; otherwise, it will make the curly tape-ins slip.
- Tape-ins aren’t the best for updos.
Curly Sew-In Hair Extensions
Curly sew-in hair extensions are sewn into your hair, making them a semi-permanent option. The sew-in process is done with weave hair, and your natural hair is braided to create a flat surface. These hair extensions provide a long-lasting look after a few hours and are perfect for women with curly, thick, or coarse hair textures.
Pros Of Curly Sew-In Hair Extensions
- Curly sew-in hair extensions are best for women with short hair.
- With curly sew-in extensions, you don’t need to use heat or glue during the installation process.
- You can use any hair products to curly sew-ins, even silicone-based hair products.
- They last between 6-8 weeks.
- Provides a ton of styling options.
Cons Of Sew-In Hair Extensions
- Sew-ins need to be installed by a professional, especially if you are new to it.
- Those with thin hair should tread cautiously because a hefty weave will tug forcibly on natural hair.
- If the anchor braids are plaited tightly, it will cause headaches and strain the scalp, which can eventually cause hair loss.
- If the hair is not washed regularly, bacteria can accumulate and cause inflammation.
Curly Micro Ring Hair Extensions
Curly micro ring hair extensions are little hair bundles wrapped through small pieces of your own hair. A metal bead is then clamped around the extension using a pair of pliers to secure it.
Micro loop extensions, which come pre-attached with a loop and bead, are a more accessible version of these extensions. As a result, they do not require the use of a loop tool for attachment.
Micro ring in curly human hair extensions texture takes between 4-5 hours to install and lasts up to 3 months.
Pros Of Curly Micro Ring Hair Extensions
- Curly micro ring hair extensions do not require heat or glue to install, reducing the damage to the hair.
- Curly micro ring extensions can be uncrimped and reused.
- You have the option to modify the extensions by sliding them up and down.
- Micro ring extensions in curly texture blend effortlessly with your natural hair and are easy to wash & maintain.
Cons Of Curly Micro Ring Hair Extensions
- Curly micro ring hair extensions are not recommended for women with fine and short hair because they can cause strain and discomfort to the scalp.
- The usage of pliers to secure the hair extensions can cause the hair to break.
- Curly micro ring hair extensions need to be removed by professionals to minimize damage.
- You won’t be able to tie your hair into high ponytails.
Phew! These are a few different types of hair extensions for curly hair. So, now that you’ve considered all of the advantages and disadvantages of the various hair extensions, I hope you’ll be able to make an informed decision!
If you are looking for a temporary look, then curly clip-in hair extensions are the best options for you, and for a semi-permanent look, you have sew-in and micro ring extensions.
Shop for the best curly and kinky curly clip-in hair extensions and flaunt a variety of looks this year.